Dr. Naiyu Wang joined the School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science at the University of Oklahoma in 2013. She earned her Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering, with an emphasis in Structural Engineering, from Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, in 2010.
Dr. Wang’s research interests include applications of statistics and probability in civil engineering; structural safety and reliability; reliability-based condition assessment; performance-based design, renewal and rehabilitation; risk-informed sustainable decisions for civil infrastructure; resilience of civil infrastructure systems; analysis and mitigation of competing hazards and risks; and impact of climate change on risk mitigation of civil infrastructure exposed to natural hazards. Dr. Wang’s teaching interests include Structural Reliability and Risk-informed Decisions, Probability and Statistics in Civil Engineering, Structural Loads, Performance-based Structural Design.
Dr. Wang currently serves a member and secretary of the Subcommittee on Strength Design (Load Combinations) of the ASCE Standard 7 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (since 2011) and a member of the ASCE/SEI Technical Council on Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability, and Risk of Structural Systems (since 2011). Before joining the OU faculty, she worked as a senior structural engineer for nearly three years at Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger, Inc. and was involved in projects concerning a variety of engineered facilities (nuclear power plants, water distribution pipelines, radio telescopes, wind turbines, and buildings and bridges).
- University of Oklahoma, Assistant Professor, 2013-present.
- Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc., Boston, MA, Senior Engineer, 2010-2013.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, Graduate Research Assistant, 2005-2010.
- Lin, P., Wang, N. and Ellingwood, B.R. (2015) “A Risk De-aggregation Framework that Relates Community Resilience Goals to Building Performance Objectives.” Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure. In review. 2015
- Zhang, W., Wang, N. and Nicholson, C.D. (2015) “Resilience-Based Post-Disaster Recovery Strategies for Community Road-Bridge Networks.” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering. In review. 2015
- Wang, N. and Zhang, W. (2015) “Resilience-Based Pre-Disaster Risk Mitigation for Bridge Networks.” Structural Safety. In review. 2015
- Zhang, W. and Wang, N. “Bridge Network Maintenance Optimization under Budget Constraint.” ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems. In review. 2014
- Wang, N. and Ellingwood, B.R. “Limit State Design Criteria for FRP Strengthening of RC Bridge Components,” Structural Safety. Accepted, 2014.
- Wang, N. and B.R. Ellingwood (2014) “Estimating Nominal Strength of Built-up CFRP Laminates from Standardized Specimen Tests,” Structural Safety, Volume 47, pp. 24-28. [Link]
- Wang, N., and M.S. Zarghamee (2014) “Fitness-For-Service Evaluation of Metal Pipes using Reliability Based Method,” ASCE Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practices, Volume 5, Issue 1. [Link]
- Wang, N., C. O’Malley, B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick (2011) “Bridge Rating Using System Reliability Assessment I: Assessment and Verification by Load Testing,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol.16, No.6, pp.854-862. [Link]
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick (2011) “Bridge Rating Using System Reliability Assessment II: Improvements to Bridge Rating Practices,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol.16, No.6, pp.854-862. [Link]
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick (2010) “Reliability-Based Evaluation of Flexural Members Strengthened with Externally Bonded Fiber-Reinforced-Polymer Composites,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 9, pp.1151-1160. [Link]
- Zhang, W., Cao, M. and Wang, N. “Travel Time Reliability Based Bridge Network Maintenance Optimization under Budget Constraint” The 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, ICASP12, Canada, July 12-15, 2015.
- Wang, N. and Ellingwood, B.R. “De-aggregating Community Resilience Objectives to Achieve Building Performance Goals” The 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, ICASP12, Canada, July 12-15, 2015.
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick, “Reliability-based framework for improving highway bridge capacity ratings,” International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR), New York, USA, June 2013.
- Wang, N., and M.S. Zarghamee, “LRFD Approach for PCCP Renewal using CFRP Composite,” 2012 ASCE Pipeline Conference, Miami, USA, August 2012. [Link]
- Wang, N., and M.S. Zarghamee, “Fitness for Service of Corroded Metallic Pipe,” 2012 ASCE Structures Congress, Chicago, USA, March 2012. [Link]
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick, “Improved Bridge Capacity Rating Methods Based on System Reliability Assessment,” International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP), Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011.
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood and A. Zureick, “Reliability-Based Framework for Achieving Realistic and Time-Dependent Highway Bridge Capacity Ratings,” International Symposium on Reliability Engineering and Risk Management (ISRERM), Shanghai, China, 2010.
- Zarghamee, M.S., M. Engindeniz, and N. Wang, CFRP Renewal of Prestressed Concrete Cylinder Pipes,” Project No. 04352, published by Water Research Foundation, 2012.
- Ellingwood, B.R., A.H. Zureick, N. Wang, and C. O’Malley, “Condition Assessment of Existing Bridge Structures, Task 4 – Development of Guidelines for Condition Assessment, Evaluation, and Rating of Bridges in Georgia,” GDOT Project RP 05-01,2009.
- Wang, N., B.R. Ellingwood, A.H. Zureick, and C. O’Malley, “Condition Assessment of Existing Bridge Structures, Task 1 – State of the Art of Bridge Condition Assessment,” GDOT Project RP 05-01, 2008.
- O’Malley, C., N. Wang, B.R. Ellingwood, and A. Zureick, “Condition Assessment of Existing Bridge Structures: Report of Tasks 2&3 – Bridge Load Testing Program,” GDOT Project RP 05-01, 2007.
AFFILIATION AND ACTIVITIES
- Journal: Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure. Editorial Board Member,2015 – present.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associate Member, 2010 – present.
- ASCE 7 Subcommittee on Strength Design (Load Combinations); Member and Secretary, 2011 – present.
- SEI-ASCE Technical Council on Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability and Risk of Structural Systems Task Group 3 Risk Assessment of Structural Infrastructure Facilities and Risk-Based Decision Making, 2012 – present.
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section (BSCES), Member, 2010 – present.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), Member, 2012 – present
- ICOSSAR 2013 Mini-symposium on Reliability-based Methods for Civil Infrastructure Condition Assessment, Retrofit and Risk Management, Co-organizer and Co-chair, New York City, 2013
- Workshop on Risk and Uncertainty, Presenter, University of Liverpool, UK, November 7-8, 2013
- ICASP 2015 Mini-symposium on Recent Developments in Reliability and Cost Prediction of Building Inventories and Civil Infrastructure Systems, Co-organizer and Co-chair, Vancouver, Canada, July 12-15, 2015
- ICASP ICOSSAR Mini-symposium on The Role of Climate Change on Hurricanes, Storm Surges and Coastal Floods, Co-organizer and Co-chair, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, August 6-10, 2017